Re: Re: NPC Hero Points

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:18:45 +0100 (BST)

Me:
> That would certainly be help in making them more 'Gloranthocentric'.
> Especially if you particularise it, say, magical feats, or elsewhere it's
> easy to rationalise investing a part of your Being in an effort... (If HPs
> represent something about the _character_, rather than
> something about its Higher Power.) >>

Trotsky:
> Ah, but then how would you justify the NPCs not having them?

That was rather my point: _if_ they are a game-world commodity, then they ought to be available to all. If they're a narrative convention, then they ought to be player-only (more or less).

> They can invest parts of their being too, can they not? And we've agreed
> that that doesn't work.

We did? Personally I've run them purely 'narratively', and I'm reasonably happy with that. If you want gritty, then I'd suggest making a Wes-like rule, though if anything, I might tone it down further: say a pre-roll +10. Allow in principle anyone to have them, _but_ only where there's a game-world rationale. (A big one-off spell is a convenient one, most obviously.)

Cheers,
Alex.