Re: Simple Mass Combat, Alternate B

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:11:02 +0200

Brian Laxson wrote:

> It occured to me there is another relatively easy way to handle mass combat.
>
> First divide up the forces in the armies by type. Like 8 Carmanian knights, 150
> peasants and 20 Praxian mercenaries.
>
> Each group fights with it's best combat skill. The group gets an automatic
> augment based on the "Targets" chart on page 230 for Extending magic. That is:
> 2 +3, 3 +6, 4 +9,5 +12, 6 +15, 10 +20, 30 +30, 100 +40, 300 +60, 1000 +80.

That's more or less how I do things in my own mass combat rules for HQ.

I'd suggest that single characters that fight groups should have a similar level of penalty applied to their skills. -40 to fight 100 guys who fight you at +40, frex. It makes for extra complication, but it keeps things more, er, 'realistic'.

cheers,

Julian Lord