Re: Digest Number 121

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:27:40 -0700

> From: "Timothy Byrd" <timbyrd_at_...>
>
> Imagine this scene: Two unarmored men holding heavy crossbows stand
> facing each other three meters apart. One is a fourth level hero (say
> applicable skills of 10W3 = 70 AP or 35 D&D hp), the other a first
> level hunter(say applicable skills of 12 = 12 AP or 6 D&D hp). It
> plays out the same in both HW and D&D:
>
> Hero: "Go ahead, make my day."
>
> Hunter: "Okay."
>
> Twang, thunk! (critical success)
>
> Hero: "Not nearly good enough... punk. Are you feeling lucky,
> now?"
>
> Twang, thunk! (failure bumped up to critical success)
>
> Hunter: "Ack!" (dies)

I see a little problem in this example. IMO the skill of archery has ducking, dodging and using cover embedded in it. This hero gets to 10w3 by not being hit and efficiently using his ammunition while he is shooting other people to bits. If he were to stand there facing down a goon from 10 feet and challenge him to shoot first, there is no contest. It is a simple ability roll and apply the results (use simple contest results, crit = dead/dying, major = 50% wounded etc.)

Remember, don't use any contest rules if there is no contest, use straight ability rolls.

&#92;&#92;/esley