Re: D12-a-go-go

From: Dick Kingman <rtkingman_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:41:41 -0400

In Digest 114, message 24, (June 10)
Alex Ferguson offered an alternative method for test and contest resolution: <<
Due to popular request (no, really! I had a whole one!), here's my variant HW/HW-a-like die-rolling convention. As loved by d12 fetishists and mastery-step haters, and Mildly Admired by the Great Greg. ("You know, that has a certain charm. Shame they don't make d22's".)

Ability scale: target numbers run from 1 to 10. 10 is equivalent to a 20 in HW (if converting, simply half all TNs). Masteries are as per HW, thus we have 9, 10, 1W, etc, with bump-ups as before.

Die-rolling: when making a test, or contest resolution, roll a d12 against the TN of your ability. If you roll less than or equal to the TN, you score a success. If you score over the TN, up to a 10, you've failed.

Original bit:

If you roll an 11 ('natural!'), then you roll again, resolving it as per the above (and herein), and then raises your level of success by one: i.e., get a bump-up.

If you roll a 12 ('...boxcars...'), then you roll again, and bump _down_.

For compatibility with HW, top-out the bumps at crit and fumble. For open-ended hilarity, don't bother.

Alex, have you tried using a d24? That is, a d12 and a high/low modifier die. You could read the d12 as (1-10 + low) is 1-10, and (1-10 + high) is 11-20. If the d12 is an 11 or 12, ignore the high/low die and treat as you described above. This way you can leave the HW target numbers alone (1-20) and still get the benefit of your alternative system.

Mind you, I understand that many people don't like rolling dice in this fashion, me for one. Though for your true d12 fetishists, if they used another d12 as the modifier die, they would have the thrill of throwing TWO d12s each time. :-)

I don't know if anyone makes an actual d24 or not. I doubt it, but then again I have a d7 in my collection, so....

Dick Kingman