Re: Misapplied worship costs

From: Dick Kingman <rtkingman_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:55:16 -0400

Mark Mohrfield wrote:
<<
I just noticed that the costs for misapplied worship don't seem to be consistent, some of the examples seem to indicate that the multiplier is applied to the worshipper's system, while some indicate that it is applied to the system of the entity being worshipped. For instance the example of theists worshiping a Sorcerous entity on page 247 pay two times the cost of an affinity to gain the Flaming Sword affinity, while on pages 248-249 sorcerous worshippers of a theistic being gain a grimoire, but still pay the cost of an affinity (multiplied by three this time), not of a grimoire. Which one of these is incorrect?

Mark,
When I read the Misapplied Worship section, I got the impression that this was deliberate. That it was intended that theists had an easier time getting magical powers from saints than monotheists/sorcerors had getting spells from deities. It does provide some additional differentiation between the magical traditions.

On the other hand, if you are just worried about the numbers used, maybe the author of the examples used the Character Development Costs chart in the rules synopsis. It has the costs of affinities, grimoires and traditions all at 3 & 6. The errata now verifies that this should be 5 & 10 for grimoires, as the rule book says on pages 31-32. The examples do not actually say "2x cost of affinity" or "3x cost of grimoire", but I suspect that was what they meant. Maybe the errata will clarify this. (Ouch! 15 Hero Points to improve a grimoire +1. Seems pretty steep.)

Dick Kingman
(After rereading your message, I guess my second paragraph addresses your concern. My first paragraph is based on my first impression of your message and Julian Lord's response about using the same multiplier for all magical powers outside your character's "philosophy of magic".)