Re: slings and arrows

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:52:01 +0100

>Thom:

>> I just feel one exchange equals roughly one blow/arrow etc.
>
> If this is your opinion then it's certainly fine for me, but I
>don't think
>that one (armed) exchange equals one blow/arrow no more than a (verbal)
>exchange equals one word!
>
> Cheers,
> An eluding Alex.

Strictly IMO. I should have said attack (e.g., I'd include a compund attack-parry-compund ripost as a single exchange in fencing, but probably not include reprises and remises). In a verbal exchange it is much trickier, I think I'd map it onto a argument (e.g., ad hominem attack, falsification of basic assumptions etc.). I think this makes a good rule of thumb. In the verbal exchange I wouldn't give penalties for attacks on multiple targets (voices count as area effects). In either case I think these are good rules of thumb which keep the narrative elements relatively simple and quick.

Thom