Re: Ability Rating \ Target

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:50:40 -0700

> > Ability Rating: A numerical rating given to an ability to show its
relative
> > strength or importance. The higher the ability rating, the better the
> character
> > is with that ability. The ability rating is rolled against in tests. See
also
> Target
> > Number
> > Target Number: A numerical rating given to an ability that is rolled
against
> > in the various tests.
> > This is rather confusing and circular.
>
> I'll say... It would have been better to be more consistent with the
> use of 'Target Number', as distinct from 'Ability Rating', since in
> places one wishes to specifically denote the one, and not the other.

I'll even say so. I wish (now) that I had made the distinction cleaner - Taget Number goes from 1-20. Ability Rating is the Target Number plus "stuff": Masteries, edges, etc. You roll against the target Number. You then modify the result of that roll by the "stuff" - bumps from masteries, AP from edges. I'm going to try to clean up the 2nd ed.

Roderick