Feats... ambiquity and generity

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:20:36 +0300 (EET DST)

There's already been a lot of discussion about this, but I think it's an important topic.

Would those of you closer to the source (I live in far off Finland) try to find out and make public a list of actual descriptions for the feats. I'd like to know what they are intended to accomplish, and what the story behind them is.

Frex I'm sure one of the authors had a clear meaning behind the feat Sunset Leap, but I'm afraid I have no idea what it meight have been... (having just 10+ years of experience in glorantha gamemastering)

How much more difficult it must be on the new GM's and players with no prior experience with Glorantha.

If the authors are actually reading this mailing list can we have definitions for at least some of the more ambiquous ones.

Sunset leap:

Lightning sword:

(What's this supposed to mean... a sword charged with lightning... a bolt of lightning wielded as a sword... an enchantment that makes the sword move lightning fast...)

Swordhelp: ???

---

The game's supposed to encourage creative description of the action... but how are we supposed to describe the action if we are just bidding AP:s at feats that we don't understand (and who are unfortunately similar to each other in regards to the game mechanics)

---

Oh... and another thing.

I suggest that on the peashooter vs. Lightning Boy problem:

When translating old characters, or wanting to add RQ style battle magic the low powered feats have limitations... like:

Disruption (cause wound): This spell enables one to bid 7AP, and if succesful causes a wound on the opponent.

Lightning: possible to stack wounds on a target at 5AP per wound. So if used like this one could bid 20AP (max?) and if succesful would inflict four wounds (a nice -4)

I've also been wondering if the wound penalty should be raised to -2 to make inflicting wounds a more viable strategy for winning a fight.

ok... reactions please

        -Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"

PS. Great work on the Glorantha book guys! (got it in Finland 8 days after the release!!!)