Re: Revision vs. Edition (WAS Ability Rating \ Target)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:58:14 +0100 (BST)

Robin D. Laws:
> In the game market, "New Edition" implies, "We've Changed
> It Sufficiently That You Really Should Buy A New Copy of Our
> Game", which would be a disastrously bad message to send
> in this instance.

Quite so. When you see what slides past an editor (or Ph.D. examiner, come to that) under the guise of 'revisions', you just get cynicised about the terminology, though. Hence the wisecrack. ;-) I agree that a 'Revised printing' is a very good idea (for all the reasons we needn't rebelabour), and a 'New edition' would be a bad one, for the reason you make explicit.

Mind you, I also hope that 'Index' is a 'revision thing'...

Cheers,
Alex.