Re: Feats... ambiquity and generity

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:44:13 +0100 (BST)

Mikko Rintasaari:
> Frex I'm sure one of the authors had a clear meaning behind the feat
> Sunset Leap, but I'm afraid I have no idea what it meight have
> been... (having just 10+ years of experience in glorantha gamemastering)
[...]
> If the authors are actually reading this mailing list can we have
> definitions for at least some of the more ambiquous ones.

Hear, hear. If all else fails, I don't doubt we can come up with a plausible description between some of us mere civilians...

> Lightning: possible to stack wounds on a target at 5AP per wound. So if
> used like this one could bid 20AP (max?) and if succesful would inflict
> four wounds (a nice -4)

Sounds OK to me. Howls of outrage will greet this from the Purists, of course. ;-) That is, I think this could be _a_ possible effect of this feat, not a exhaustive prescription. That it ad libs some game mechanics in a modest way I see as entirely harmless. (Compare and contrast the needlessly specific and frequently broken theistic 'secrets'.)

One could argue that in some such cases, the effects of _losing_ might also be tweaked. If Orlanth isn't coming up with the Thunderous goods for you, then ipso facto you've been Naughty In His Sight, and hecen the 'bad consequences' are magical and/or religious, and more long-term, rather than immediately tactical. ("Oh dear. Due to a marginal failure with my Storm magic, I've fallen on my bum, with severe chafing as a result.")

> I've also been wondering if the wound penalty should be raised to -2 to
> make inflicting wounds a more viable strategy for winning a fight.

I'd suggest not, not across the board at any rate. Though circumstantially, as in the above, I'd feel to tweak it as seems appropriate: for whenever 'physical damage' seems a more appropriate result than tactical advantage. (Or for non-physical contests, other long(ish) term consequences short of losing the contest.)

Cheers,
Alex.