Re: Feats... ambiquity and generity

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 01:55:30 +0300 (EET DST)

> Hear, hear. If all else fails, I don't doubt we can come up with
> a plausible description between some of us mere civilians...

Yup... but I'd really like to hear the myth behind it... rather that cook one up myself.

> of this feat, not a exhaustive prescription. That it ad libs
> some game mechanics in a modest way I see as entirely harmless.
> (Compare and contrast the needlessly specific and frequently
> broken theistic 'secrets'.)

Yup... they seem to be the only feats that are actually described. Well... besides berserk that is.

> One could argue that in some such cases, the effects of _losing_
> might also be tweaked. If Orlanth isn't coming up with the
> Thunderous goods for you, then ipso facto you've been Naughty
> In His Sight, and hecen the 'bad consequences' are magical
> and/or religious, and more long-term, rather than immediately
> tactical. ("Oh dear. Due to a marginal failure with my Storm
> magic, I've fallen on my bum, with severe chafing as a result.")

hehe :) You are right there. Instead of losing AP one could get a -8 to ones storm-magic for the contest or some such. (for the 20 AP bid)

> > I've also been wondering if the wound penalty should be raised to -2 to
> > make inflicting wounds a more viable strategy for winning a fight.
>
> I'd suggest not, not across the board at any rate. Though
> circumstantially, as in the above, I'd feel to tweak it as seems
> appropriate: for whenever 'physical damage' seems a more appropriate
> result than tactical advantage. (Or for non-physical contests,
> other long(ish) term consequences short of losing the contest.)
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

Indeed I'd like to see it so that any suffiscienty large AP loss (parhaps 14) would automatically inflict a wound... well, not in a debate or such, but in serious combat.

        -Adept