Re: Feats... ambiquity and generity

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:05:51 +0200

Mikko:

>Would those of you closer to the source (I live in far off Finland) try
>to find out and make public a list of actual descriptions for the
>feats.

The official word seems to be that we will never, ever get such a list.

Once I'd gotten over my fixation with exact description, I found that it was actually fun to interpret feats on the fly. Heck, if you've played Mage this isn't much worse.

Still, there are a handful of feats with really obscure names. Everyone on the list has jumped at explaining Sunset Leap. ;-) The consensus seems to be that it's teleportation. IMO, it might have been clearer if it was called Mastakos' Leap instead. But the ones I still have no idea at all about are Snarl Darkness and Leaping Shield. There are also a number of feats that seem puny or redundant. Look under Vanganth for examples - lots of specialized feats that I would have thought were already included under Aerial Maneuvering.

>Lightning sword:
>
>(What's this supposed to mean... a sword charged with lightning... a
>bolt of lightning wielded as a sword... an enchantment that makes the
>sword move lightning fast...)

All of the above, if you wish. We play that it's mainly an enhancement feat.

>Swordhelp: ???

Enhancement. Can't really think of another use for it. Maybe to protect your sword if someone else is trying to smash it?

> on the peashooter vs. Lightning Boy problem

To quote myself, and provide an example of how you can differentiate without twisting the rules around:

>you can use the lightning bolts at any time (any time you can
>perform magic, of course). No need to carry around a bow and arrows.
>Lightning ignores armor. Lightning is self-targeting, which means that
>you can't defend with dodging-type skills, you need some kind of physical
>toughness or an appropriate magical ability. The range of a lightning
>bolt is LOS. So it's a different kind of weapon, with its ups and downs.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg