Low bids in combat

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:02:24 +0100

Alex:
>This is a concern I definitely share. It's hard to get players
>to bid high just by 'motivational techniques': the game gives
>them a 'perverse incentive' to bid low, in particular if they have
>at least a marginal advantage, and aren't planning on blowing lots
>of HPs. It would be better if the game encouraged them to bid
>higher, or was at least more neutral in that respect. This is
>tweakable, but it requires work...

The 'motivational techniques' are good and effective I feel.

Always bidding low is effectively hiding behind your shield making half-hearted stabs at your enemy. Every now and again you manage to give him a little bash but really you're just waiting for him to get tired or screw up.

Is this how brave, honourable Orlanthi fight? What about Uroxi? (Ooops, you haven't got keywords for them). Does your weaponthane character want to be seen fighting like this by his clan?

If the players think that combat is boring/taking too long they only have themselves to blame!

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...