Re: Low bids in combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:18:53 -0400

Alex Ferguson wrote:

> Andrew Barton on 'reckless Orlanthi' tactics:
> > A few comments. First off, I don't think the 'cultural' tactics are bad.
>
> If I wasn't clear, my apologies to all. I think they were pretty
> correct, culturally; I just think it's not reflected in the HW
> rules. I appreciate HW isn't a 'simulationist' game, but it's
> extremely unfortunate if players are being 'incentivised' by
> their culture to do one thing, and by their own best interests
> (and in plot terms, those of the characters' community, too) to
> do the opposite.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

Would you have any suggestions to provide such incentives? I've been relying on the cultural ones with some success but I admit that in the in-store demos I run, I often find some of the new players tend to hide behind their shields.

(You're a mighty man-slayer. Would you be interested in fostering my son?)
(From the spoils of war, I give the bravest warrior this, taken from a slain foe -- a sword and helmet of iron)

I suspect that giving an edge for 'cool actions' would be of use and be related to the size of the bid, the daring of the action and . All very relative, I know. I think it would work. I'm teaching the game at a local store on Saturday and will see how this variant goes and report back.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jeff