Re: Low bids in combat

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:32:45 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Barton, on my (and Robin Laws') proposition that if you have a TN advantage, bet low:

> I don't think so. For one thing, there will almost always be other
> factors.
> Most obviously, of a friend is in trouble you need to win quickly if
> possible
> to be able to help them out.

True, but not so endemic as to eliminate the syndrome by any means.

> For another, the more times you roll the dice, the more chances you're
> giving yourself of a fumble.

And to crit. Not really a factor either way.

> Once you have an AP edge, a good tactic is to bid half of your opponents
> APs.
> That way, there are a lot more outcomes that put him out of the fight
> than put you out.

Once you have a signicant AP advantage, this becomes viable, yes. Doesn't help in getting to such a point, though, if you ever do.

There's a flipside to the above: if you have a run of bad luck, and are at a net AP disadvantage, while still being ahead on ability score, you're even more incentivised to bid low. Also, having an edge (as in the enhancement) effectively encourages you to bit low, to get the best net benefit from it.

Cheers,
Alex.