RE: feats and descriptions

From: Paul Pofandt <ppofandt_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:28:05 -0000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, guy hoyle wrote:

> Instead of nailing down the effects of each feat, maybe we should
be looking
> up mythic references to the feats. That way, we get a snippet of
myth as
> well as a spur to our imagination.
>
> Guy

Just what I was thinking.
A feat is a reproduction of a specific act performed by a mythic Hero or God.
Granted that across cultural boundaries, groups may have different interpretations of the myth, but within a specific cultural group, the description of the feat is likely to be fixed and constant. It's the acts born from affinities that would be expected to be vague, malleable and shaped by the will of the hero.

What I'd hope to see in future references is something like: Affinity:Movement
Feat: Rain of Swords ...
"As the Telmori horde charged, Groham leapt high above then, flinging down upon the heads of his enemies a double handful of fell barbs"

A short snippet of myth sets the feel, but the actual results are still open to interpretation (is this a defensive manoeuvre, an enhancement to a missile attack, a direct magical attack, or all three). Off-the-cuff effects can still be conjured as a result of the affinity with movement as required.

Cheers.
Paul.