Feats

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:43:06 +0300 (EET DST)

<snip>
> No, I'm not planning on adding descriptions or myths for each feat. I'm
> trying to get some suitably cool stories so that you can pick out your own
> feats from them, but I will not be saying "The Sunset leap feat can let you
> leap far into the sunset."

*sigh* too bad. That would not add too many words into the book, and at least for me would add a lot of value into the product.

It can't be that hard to word the examples/quidelines so that anybody with half a brain will understand that one can improvice and modify them to greater or lesser extent.

"Sunset Leap enables one to emulate Mastakoses great leap eastward. The warriors of Orlanth Adventurous use this to surpsise their foes in combat, and in travelling when they must be faster than the wind itself."

Clumsy, but you propably see what I mean.

> One thing that I have found is, no matter *how many times* you say "this is
> only *one way* you can use X", that will soon become the *only* way to do X.
> How many different rules mechanics do you want for each feat? One? Two?
> Five?

I want a short description or a part of myth, to set the mood, and give one an idea what he heck the feat is supposed to be about.

> You want myths? here's a few from Morden:

<snip>

> So, what do the Widow's Howl, Dusk-leaping Feat, Setting Sun Throw, Leaping
> Pursuit Feat or Sunset Killing Shield Feat do? You know as much as anyone,
> except maybe Greg.
>
> RR

And I do indeed have a reasonably good chance to understand, quess or make up something appropriate for the feats listed with only the name. But I think that's got a lot to do with the fact that I'm an experienced Glorantha enthusiast and GM.   How well do you expect the new players, and especially the new narrators to figure them out? One needs information to set the stage and the mood. I for one don't think we are giving them enough.

        -Adept

PS. This is infact the only serious problem I have with HW. I think it's a great game product and hope it will be a financial success. All the more reason to try to point out the potental pitfall I think I'm detecting.