Re: Feats

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:18:38 -0700

> It can't be that hard to word the examples/quidelines so that anybody
> with half a brain will understand that one can improvice and modify them
> to greater or lesser extent.
>
> "Sunset Leap enables one to emulate Mastakoses great leap eastward. The
> warriors of Orlanth Adventurous use this to surpsise their foes in
> combat, and in travelling when they must be faster than the wind
> itself."
>
> Clumsy, but you propably see what I mean.

Oh I see, but here's my problem:

Just to use broad numbers, that is a 35 word description. Each god has about 3 affinities, and 4 feats per affinity. That's 420 words per cult. For only 10 cult write-ups that is 4200 words. I'm planning on more like 20 gods, so call it 8,000 words. Out of a book of ~70,000 words. That is a big chunk, more than a 10th.

There are 18 Heortling and 17 Lunar writeups, 6 BHT Grimoires and ~10 Grazer Spirit types in Chapter 4 of Hero Wars. Rough estimate, that's 21,000 words in description of feats, spells and spirits. That is a full 5th of the word count for the entire book.

> > One thing that I have found is, no matter *how many times* you say "this
is
> > only *one way* you can use X", that will soon become the *only* way to
do X.
> > How many different rules mechanics do you want for each feat? One? Two?
> > Five?
>
> I want a short description or a part of myth, to set the mood, and give
> one an idea what he heck the feat is supposed to be about.

And what are you willing to give up? Make no mistake, there are definite word limits within which I must stay. So, should I cut the Occupation keywords? Places in Sartar or Heortland? History? Myths? The Clan generator? There are already no characters or adventures (those will be in Sartar Rising). Plus it would take time for me to write or have someone else write up those 240 feat descriptions, since they aren't already done.

I gues my question is: "why are *my* myths better than those *you* can come up with?"

RR