Re: Low bids in combat

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:34:01 -0000

Not quite. What I see is that Orlanthi are Warriors. Lunars, especially those in regiments, are soldiers.

Orlanthi depend on their own skill, so a good warrior is one that can trust upon the power of his arm, his skill at terrifying foes, and his personal closeness to Orlanth, and the ways of the hunderbrothers. As well as his personal ability to inspire his followers.

Wankers like the Lunars, and those Sun County freaks are soldiers that trust their companions and commanders, unit cohesion, drill times, and executing that idiot who doesn't follow orders. With leaders depending on their ability to train their soldiers to follow every orders.

My opinion is an Orlanthi Warrior tends to waste a Lunar Soldier. On the other hand, a Lunar regiment might smash an Orlanthi Fyrd.

And what is the purpose of combat? For Orlanthi, it's survival, victory, being brave, becoming closer to your god, and looking good before your people. As such, he is rewarded for personal bravery. He grows strong in his personal skills, he is well regarded, and since Glorantha is a magic land, he grows closer to Orlanth the warrior, becoming a better Warrior.

Now, A Lunar, in a regiment, is looking for survival, victory, keeping close with his compatriots, being one with the regiment and it's spirit, since defending the regiment allows the regiment to win. As well, he's looking to get out of it with a good pension.

Neither of these are complely modelled in game mechanics. And they shouldn't be. These are social and religious issues and are dealt with through the roleplay part of the game. :) (The clan chief rewarding you. Or do we want to see table 44CombRes6, subsection 5, proper rewards for gacking Enemy Hero from Clan Chief(Mildly related to you//For 1w..10w level Heroes))

Now, is the Orlanthi Warrior Technique always the best? Not always... But when you're dealing with Clan to Clan Warfare, it's the culturally right and effective technique. It lets men show they are men. Is it appropriate for going up against Mostalli Gatling Gun Bunkers*? Well.... Neither is Black Horse Cavalry.

Also, the Orlanthi has some limits. They cannot, and will not accept total leadership. It would destroy them. Just like the United State would have serious trouble using Penal Legions to clear mines. And I don't think we could consider this bad technique. :)

Steven White
*How do we know the Mostally don't have those?