Combat again

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:55:26 +0100

Alex:
>My sympathies for a fellow victim of the Black Oaks: Knaves
>and Scoundrels, all! Why, I oughta... Sorry, where was I? Oh
>yeah, da roolz. But a cautious fighter isn't letting down his
>community, he's defending it the most 'efficient' manner possible.
>Like when your favourite football team grinds out a boring 1-0
>win (insert equivalent NFL/baseball idiom here). Not a barrel
>of laughs to watch, but 'a result', and very nice if you had
>�10,000 on the outcome. Or in this case, your clan's lives and
>livelihoods.

Even if we ignore the fact that an Orlanthi weaponthane doesn't know the mathematics behind his fighting (unless he is a godlearner weirdo) bidding low isn't the best combat tactic.

The best tactics are....
Stabbing your enemies in the back.
Killing them while they are asleep/answering a call of nature. Vastly outnumbering them.
Poisoning/infecting them with disease.
etc

There are no game rules to persuade pc's from doing any of those.

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...