From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:13:20 +0100

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Low bids in combat
>jeff.kyer_at_... on the low-bidding PCs:
>> Oddly enough, the other weapon thanes tend to mock the PC's who do
>> that. Cowards, slouchabacks, ninthlings. Getting silly etiphets "The
>> Cautious," "The White," "Weakblow" "Hideshield" And getting pushed
>> around by Uroxi who are absolutely *sure* you are too cautious to fight
>> can make life *not* worth living.
>
>I think this is indeed "odd". There's a culture of bad tactics among
>Orlanthi weaponthanes, and anyone who prefers sounder ones is mocked
>for their pains? Sounds to me like trying to fix a bug in the rules
>with an artificial game-world social construct. (Comparisons with
>the Community Participation rules and example spring to mind.)

Is it bad tactics? In real life, warriors, soldiers etc. react very badly to comrades who take no risks but try to share in all the benefits. Taking risks also shows you mean business, may scare attackers off etc. It is an example of a paradoxical strategy (which are surprisingly common). There is a good summary of these kinds of strategy in Steven Pinker's book "How the Mind Works".

Thom