Re: Combat again

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:56:20 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, James Turner wrote:

> Alex:
> >My sympathies for a fellow victim of the Black Oaks: Knaves
> >and Scoundrels, all! Why, I oughta... Sorry, where was I? Oh
> >yeah, da roolz. But a cautious fighter isn't letting down his
> >community, he's defending it the most 'efficient' manner possible.
> >Like when your favourite football team grinds out a boring 1-0
> >win (insert equivalent NFL/baseball idiom here). Not a barrel
> >of laughs to watch, but 'a result', and very nice if you had
> >�10,000 on the outcome. Or in this case, your clan's lives and
> >livelihoods.
>
> Even if we ignore the fact that an Orlanthi weaponthane doesn't know the
> mathematics behind his fighting (unless he is a godlearner weirdo) bidding
> low isn't the best combat tactic.
>
> The best tactics are....
> Stabbing your enemies in the back.
> Killing them while they are asleep/answering a call of nature.
> Vastly outnumbering them.
> Poisoning/infecting them with disease.
> etc
>
> There are no game rules to persuade pc's from doing any of those.

> James Turner
> j.a.turner_at_...

Except if we are talking about the Heortling Orlanthi here. All the listed ones are cowardly things, most verging on the despicable (and chaos bringing) secret murder.

The best tactic is one that lets the god's, your friends and your spouse see how brave and strong you are. There's no shame in being wounded in a good fight, but there's a lot of shame in looking like a coward.

        -Adept