RE: Re: One More Sunset Leap Post

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:47:56 +0800

>| Well, I rather like it to be something to do with Leaping,
>|and if possible Sunsets. Neither one of which is Teleporting. But
>|that doesn't mean I mind the existence of teleport feats, no siree.
>|I'm all for them, but I do prefer it if they have the word 'Teleport'
>|in them somewhere.
>
>To me, "teleport" sounds more science-fictiony than mythic. You never see
>the word in any book of mythology, or in any ancient epic.

        However, that is the only English word for the phenomenon I can think of - something like Travel Instantly instead is fine, however. Interpreting the word Leap, which normally has not much to do with teleporting, as Teleport because of a reference in a completely different book, however, stretches the interpretation beyond breaking point IMO. We are used to Teleport, anyway.

        FWIW, I can't think of many mythic precedents for the phenomenon of teleportation in RW myth either - very fast movement, yes, but what we think of as a teleport (instantaneous movement without crossing the intervening space) is harder.

        (and also note that exactly the same criticism could have been made of the spell names in RQ, its just that with a spell like 'Erotocomatose Lucidity' already there, giving them mythic names was already a bit of a lost cause :-))

	Cheers
		David