Re: ***public warning***

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:13:35 +0100

> From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
> In my defense:
>a) it was in direct reply to a post in which Wesley himself stepped
>rather above a reasonable tone (was 'nasty and stepped beyond
>polite' in Wesleys own words).

Not an excuse IMO, as it should be taken to email, or responded to in different way (such mentioning in your reply that you felt Wesley's tone was unreasonable).

>b) I considered adding a smiley at the time, but refrained because I
>thought for such a stupid childish insult it would be obvious it was
>not intended very seriously already. Obviously that was a poor
>judgement. So I will make it explicit. No serious insult was intended
>(though I did disagree with Wesleys expressed position).

I don't think adding a smiley is relevant. In some cases it can make an insult worse (please see below).

>c) if Wesley asks for an apology or otherwise indicates he is really
>offended, he will get one.

I don't think that Wesley is the only one entitled to take offense (please see below).

>e) yes, I was rather grumpy at the time. I thought Wesleys post was
>unnecessarily negative, and reacted to that. The chances are high
>that in general I will be nicer. And/or more liberal with the smilies.

I assume everyone on the list (including me) gets grumpy from time to time and writes ill-considered things which may cause offense. However, I don't think this is a sensible excuse for a direct insult (even one intended as a joke). Posting insults (i) lowers the tone of the list, (ii) creates the perception of a hostile environment. This list is intended (I believe) to be an open forum for HW/Glorantha newcomers as well as old hands. If the tone of the list creates a perception of being closed, hostile and so on I think the list suffers.

Thom