Foxes Re: Digest Number 139

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:44:23 -0400

> Earth cultures use different ones. I think it's Native Americans that see
> the fox as the exemplar of bravery.

Hmmm. But some things remain a constant and you struck on one of them. One of my hobbies is collecting ltierature and lore on foxes.

The Fox is an exemplar in Japanese, Chinese, Mongol, Russian, French, English (I love Mr. Brook's Mr. Fox story), Iroquois, Inuit and Plains Indians.

In fact, the french name for fox, Reynaud, *changed* to match that of the rather imfamous fellow in the fairy tale cycles. It was, apparently, something different before that.

Sorry, you hit one of my buzzwords.... =)

Jeff