RE: Feat descriptions...

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:44:02 +0100

Mikko asks:

> > Storm gods, Sun Gods and Darkness Gods could all cause blindness - at
> > the system level, they all do the same thing, but descriptively the Sun
> > God causes a blinding light to appear before you, the darkness god pulls
> > a veil of darkness over your eyes while the storm god sends stinging
> > winds and rain/hail into your face blinding you.
>
> But still, the blining light propably won't work on a solar cultist (of
> suffiscient power), the darkness won't bling an Uz and the ice will be
> useless against an ice demon.
> At least this is how it would go in my own campaign. Would you say
> that Hero Wars makes this clear to the new narrators?

Reasonably so. You resist a magical attack with your most appropriate ability (HW p.170). ISTM this would be a related physical or magical ability in the three cases you mention. The description of trolls (HW-NB p.101) mentions Darksense; that in itself suggests that darkness won't blind an Uz.

Is this "clear"? Well, not word-for-word explicit, no. But it is all in the rules, and seems to make coherent sense.

>> Indeed I'm guessing that
>> his will happen as scenarios/adventures get published when the Writer
>> needs to explain how a feat is used by a NPC (or as an example of a way
>> around a problem, even...).

> True... Pretty much as additional rules appeared for RQ. I'd still like
> to see some guidelines or explanations in the core books.

Hasn't happened yet, except for the Deshkorgos feats on HW-NB p.140f. Like Tim, I imagine that this is the way forward for most feat descriptions: situational writeups for NPCs in scenarios, specific to that setting. (Try saying that with a lithp!).

OTOH, if Issaries are overwhelmed with excellent fan-submitted examples of what you can do with feats, they'd be commercially daft not to make some use of them: by writing this stuff ourselves, we can demonstrate that there is interest, and a market, in such ideas.

Cheers, Nick