Re: Q on God-Talkers, Multiple Initiations

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:44:17 +0200

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Richard Addy wrote:
> I have a couple of questions about the God-talker keyword ....
>
> How is Perform Sacrifice and Pray different from Worship
> [Pantheon] and Initiate of [god]? I'm thinking Pray might be the
> equivalent to the old school Divination, but haven't a clue about how
> to make Perform Sacrifice a useful ability.

I don't think that you should expect all abilities to be all that useful all the time. Many abilities in the keywords are obviously there only (sic!) to flesh out the characters, Lunar Soldiers get Swear Like A Soldier and their officers get Fill Out Paperwork. What I want to play is a Buserian worshipping Imperial Bureaucrat, so I can get Create Paperwork, as well as the feats Defend Filing System and Repel Auditor.

That said, I imagine you could use both Pray and, especially, Perform Sacrifice as augmenting skills in certain forms of ritual magic. Or to attract and enflame your parish ("Oh, God-talker Geosson is such a preacher! And never have I seen a sacrifice performed with such extacy!")

> how do you handle initiation in multiple cults during character
> generation?

Ah, by having them put it in their no more than 100 words description? Sorry, not very helpful, but that's how I would do it :-)

You seem to be using the List Method. Strictly there does not seem to be any limit on how many keywords you get to chose, it just says "..any character keywords you want to use".
I think one suggestion was that you could take the first keyword at -1 and the second at -3. Or something like that.
Or let your players each chose whether to use the List method or the Narrative method. The narrative takes a little longer, but is much more flexible and gives the characters a little more flesh on their bones.

--
Henrix