Re: house rule question of augmentation

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:43:16 -0000

> > super-augment relying on a HP-bump. For instance, with an Ability
of
> > 17, you COULD try for a +6 bonus. That's 17 vs 10W resist...
Chances
> > are, you'll succeed, resistance will crit or succeed. A bump will
> > probably still get the bonus. But with our rule, you can't roll
17-30!

> I think that's "a feature, not a bug." Less number-crunching in the
heat of
> action.

True, it does reduce entry-level augments, but, as you note, it gets easier and easier as you increase in skills...

> What I was worrying about was (say) a 17W2 character rolling at -35
vs 2W1
> to get a +7 augmentation, criticalling with that residual bump on a
roll of
> 1-19, and thus doubling that to a practically automatic +14
augmentation (or
> +28 edge)...

hmm... isn't the math slightly wrong? With 2W (or 2W1 as you put it), you'll only crit with a roll of 1 or 2. You need a HP to crit thereafter.

> Another worry: enhancements are all + to hit (augmentation) or + to
damage
> (edge); the other part of the trinity in RQ was + to armour points,
but
> that's gone. Imagine duelling Rune Lords with Truesword, Bladesharp
6,
> Strength, Coordination... but no Shield or Protection spells! Big
edges are
> going to get scary.

One of my characters (Spirit Talker with Ancestor and Firshalla Traditions) already has Shimmer and Body of Fire, and should have Tough (from her RQ stats). All those can be protective.

Wulf