Re: Re: A Different Feat Question

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:19:05 +0800

At 11:44 PM -0400 27/6/00, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
>No. I meant to say that this feat gives an edge instead of an augment.
>Both are *enhancements*.

        You are right - I just looked at the chart on the page over, which rather confusing has the terminology I used. One for the nitpicking errata

>> Which just makes me say - why?
>
>Why? Very simple: Because my players feel more comfortable with the
>Yinkini having an edge-like-a-weapon from the feat simply because he now
>has big teeth and claws rather than blunt fingers and homid biting
>apparatus.

        No, that bit is fine, why did you think that feats would not grant an edge in the first place?

        But I answer that question in a second anyway..

> > THe difference between an edge and a bonus is something that
>> should be done based on what game effect you are simulating, and I
>> don't see what the theist/feat/talent/power distinction has to do
>> with it at all.
>
>Not necessarily. If you require the precise terminolgy then in the
>rulebook it notes that feats always give augements and spells always
>give edges.

	Does it?
	I couldn't see any such note.
	What I did see was that the Augments description talks about
feats, and the edges description talks about spells. I think this is an artifact of an earlier playtest version that DID only have bonuses only for feats, and edges only for spells - this was changed in playtest, essentially for exactly the reasons why you changed it for particular feats yourself.

> > >Still trying to work otu how the Six Javelin Feat would work. =)
>>
>> Personality, I'd say its most practically an augment - you
>> can use it either to create a bonus (several javelins increase your
>> chance to hit) or as an edge (if you do hit, you might hit them
>> several times and damage them more). Of course, you can just use it
>> as a simple magic attack.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>
>Perhaps. I may just treat it as an augment feat that, in effect, lets
>you throw multipple javelins at different targets -- allowing multiple
>opponents to be engaged in missle combat which is something that is hard
>to do currently.

        Like all feats, it should be a description of an effect, that may well have many different ways it appears in the rules. You use 6 Javelin throw to throw 6 at one person to do more damage? Make it an edge. You use it spread wide to make it harder to dodge? Make it an augment. You use it to attack multiple opponents? Use it to offset multiple opponent penalties. You don't like the multiple opponent rules and think it should be better? Make an optional rule for your game (and share it with us). All of these are correct.

        I want a less flexible interpretation of what game world effect comes from which feat - but the flipside, is that rules governing how that effect can be simulated, and what sort of thing you can do with that effect, should be flexible. Even a simple thing like throwing 6 Javelins at once can be represented many different ways in the rules.

	Cheers
		David