RE: Re: A Different Feat Question

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:38:53 +0800

>So which of your PCs has "Throw Javelin One Mile" as a natural ability?
>
>I'm trying to avoid the situation where (say) Leaping 17 is seen as inferior
>in every way to Rock-Jumping 17, or indeed Sunset Leap 17.

        But the situation where Leaping is seen as exactly the same as Rock-Jumping or Sunset Leap is just as bad.

        Leap Over Trees should let you leap over trees, not small shrubs.

> I think you get
>more advantage out of the "mix" between mundane abilities and magical
>feats/spells/spirits/whatever than you do by treating all magical abilities
>as inherently superior to all natural abilities.

        Magical abilities should generally be seen as superiour, but less general. Sunset Leap should be better than Leaping when used at sunset (and no use at all in some other circumstances where Leaping might be used). Mile Throw Javelin should be able to throw a javelin something approximately a mile, rather than just adding a couple of points to your Javelin skill - but don't try the William Tell trick if all you have is Mile Throw Javelin.

>I think your One Mile Throw would be helped by your Ranged Combat (javelin)
>ability, and/or vice versa.

        Sure. But One Mile Throw should be better at throwing things a long distance than Range Combat javelin is. If you have both, that is even better.

	Cheers
		David