RE: Re: Edges and Handicaps.

From: Tavener, Doyle W. <Doyle.Tavener_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:06:02 -0500

 Wulf Corbett Sez:
>People keep saying 'cinematic'... when I go to a cinema, I expect to
>see every detail, hear every word, clear and bright in 20-foot tall
>technicolour, with slow motion closeup replays of the gory bits. This
>is more like a pre-production roughly sketched storyboard.

>That's not, in itself, a criticism of the system, just of the use of
>'cinematic' when what's really meant is 'abstract' (or 'vague'...).

Cinematic, in a role playing context, means that the games relies less on concrete rules to provide a description of what is happening.

In a Cinematic game, there are fewer rules than in games like RQ and D&D, and the gamemaster and players are free to use more description, not less.

Instead of your gamemaster saying, "The troll hit him in the 12 for 24", one is encouraged to say stuff like, "The troll wins 24 AP in this exchange. He winds back with his enormous two handed club, and smashes the nasty end into your helm, knocking you back, leaving you dazed and bloody...

I don't deny that the game is more abstract. But with simulationist style rules, you are encouraged to be lazy and lets the rules due the storytelling. With the more abstract rules, you _must_ use a lot more description or the results are boring and flat.

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener
281-342-4372 (H) dmtavener_at_...
281-275-7389 (W) Doyle.Tavener_at_...

It is not reasonable to suppose that Aristotle knew the number of the Elect... - Albertus Magnus