Re: Re: Edges and Handicaps.

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:52:31 +0100

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:24:34 -0400, "KYER, JEFFREY" <jeff.kyer_at_...> wrote:

>> |I can't see any basis in the rules for using weapon ranks
>> |defensively, as
>> |some have suggested.
>>
>> Hmm. How would parrying be handled, then? That was a crucial part of RQ
>> combat.

>Its subsumed into your Combat skill. And we're not playing a
>nittygrittyblowbyblow game, I think. However, if you said, "I'm hiding
>behind my shield and parrying his attacks I'd say you had a low bid. I
>might even give you a bit of a defensive advantage, depending on the
>situation. Its really up to the narrator.

Incidently, I think I asked this before, but I don't remember any answers I liked :)

What about a set spear against the charge of cavalry, or the leap of a predator? The spear is definitely defensive, it does not move except to aim the point, the back end is fixed in place. The spearman does not attack, he just manoeuvres the spearhead, and dodges as best he can while keeping hold of the spear. The cavalryman and horse (or rhino) does the attacking, but if the spearman gets it right, the spear, and any augments, Rank, Edges, whatever, most definitely should have an effect. Both spearman and cavalryman must act symultaneously, that's obvious, it's all in the movement of the horse/rhino. So, if that's to be represented as one exchange (and if not, how else?), the defensive weapon Rank and Edge must be used.

Wulf