Re: Leaping over trees

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:33:42 -0000

> >A Gloranthan that obtains 3 plus masteries in
> >a mundane ability (say Close Combat) can, in effect, do magical
> >things with that ability and with 4 plus masteries _may_ be
> >worshipped by others so they may partake in this magic.
>
> I'd say that the 'human norm' range is up to 20. From 1w and up
> you're in the superhuman/magical range.
>
> This is merely rules-speak; in actual glorantha i don't think there
> is any (real) distinction between mundane and magical. Some
abilities
> are common or banal, some are rare or exceptional and those are
_seen
> as_ magical/otherwordly. Not that they actually need be magical in
> game rules terms.

I assume you're aware of the fact this is in contradiction to the rules?

Even putting that asside, I don't think that is a reasonable possition to take. It seems ridiculous to me to say that Olympic medalist gymnasts do not have even one mastery in their athletic abilities. Are you saying that if Rick Meints ran at a springboard and tried to do a looping half-twist flip that if he rolled under his (for the sake of argument) low Agility ability, that if he somehow succeeded or roled a '1', that he would be exactly as successful as one of the best Russian tennage vaulting champions?

To me, clearly these people have multiple masteries in their respective abilities. I with my Chess playing ability of about 5 have no chance whatsoever of beating Karpov in a streight game. He has at least 2 materies on me, probably three. Surely he has more than a 19, or even a 20 in Play Chess?

Simon Hibbs