Re: Re: Leaping over trees

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:05:13 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Mikael Raaterova wrote: <snip>
> >My view of Glorantha is that _everything_ has a mythical/magical
> >explanation, including all of those things that we in the RW see as
> >"mundane" or "normal".
	.
	.
	.

> I'd say that the 'human norm' range is up to 20. From 1w and up
> you're in the superhuman/magical range.

While I can agree with you in regards to metaphysics "Every act is a magical act", I don't think that covers it adequately.

Be it all magic or not, the world of Glorantha has a distinction between magical and mundane to it's own denizens. I like the feel of glorantha where the farmer and the traveller get grit in their sandals and and where armor is heavy and tiring.
  Glorantha has always been described as looking and feeling very much like our own reality, when it comes to mundane things. Now if we have people running down horses and leaping over the chiefs longhouse, I think those instanses would be seen as magical by the people witnessing them.

I admit that a person having several masteries in a mundane skill are epic and heroic, but there should still be a clear distinction between the heroism of mastering ones craft, and the feats that bring god's and heroes magic into the mundane world.

        -Adept