Re: Fetishes

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:33:58 +0100

I like Richard Sands' idea about fetishes.

I don't think the spirit plane is full of wierd specailised spirits. Player shaman: I travel to the den of infernos to capture a fire spirit for my fireblade fetish.
Narrator: <rolls dice> Sorry but the den seems to be full of flamming arrow, start fire, burn wood, cook food, melt metal, keep warm and remove eyebrows spirits. You can't find a fireblade spirit anywhere.

So if you want a climb trees fetish I don't think you capture a climb trees spirit but rather something like a squirel spirit. The act of making the fetish defines which ability of the squirel you can use.

The downside to this is that animist magic is much more restrictive than theist and potentially more boring for a player as all his magic is predefined. Looks a bit too much like RQ spells. So I may be tempted to allow a squirel spirit fetish be used for anything within reason (climbing trees, finding nuts, quick escape) trouble is this could lead to abuse and makes it too much like thiest affinities.

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...