Re: Re: Fetishes

From: Timothy Byrd <timbyrd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:00:22 -0700

David Dunham writes words that Jeff admires:

> The process is probably something like: "Brother squirrel, may I
call
> on you when I need to hide nuts?" "Yes, you may call on me once."
> "Then I will carry you in my medicine bundle, which I keep close to
> my heart."

Wouldn't this give you a "nut hiding" spirit? That you could use for climbing, concealment (the rest of my Hero Band is a bunch of nuts - really!), or possibly foraging (gotta *have* the nuts before you can hide them). I suppose this falls under the category of creative use of a specific spirit.

Also, I apologies for my loose use of "feat" and applying it to animism. But regardless of that, it seems reasonable that a really skillful shaman could make a more general purpose fetish verging on an affinity in use.