Re: Boring Combat

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:42:55 +0200

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Jonas Schiött wrote:

> It's boring. Boring boring boring.

I already told you that. Why repeat it? If you read what I write you will find that I do not advocate it in all situations, but that I think it will be useful in some.

Part of the problem is that Jonas wants to see combat as a series of blows who the other is defending against, and that if the "attacker" loses AP it is because he stumbled.
That is not at all how I see it. I see each exchange in a round as an interplay between the contestants, and if the "attacker" loses AP, that could be because the "defender" kicked him in some unmentionable part.

Example: Argrath is entering Boldhome. From an adjacent roof a would be assassin leaps at him. The assassin initiates the contest, and bids all his AP. Naturally he fails miserably and loses three times his AP, as Argrath has more masteriess. Now the trick question; was this because a) The assassin stumbled and fell from the roof breaking his neck, or b) Argrath lightningly fast drew his sword and skewered the poor bastard?

Jonas seems to think a), but me, actually, I prefer b). But of course Your Glorantha May Vary ;-)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, David Cake wrote:
> Fundamentally, its a degree of detail issue that should be
> left to each GM. I like the weapons and armour to make a difference,
> and particularly in Group contests. If Hendrix wants to run it the
> other way, then good for him - it does make it a bit simpler for
> everybody in certain situations (hey, arms and armour are identical
> for the two combatants - why worry about it), and can make the
> narrative feel a bit better.
> Option is good.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, David.

That said I will probably not reduce everything to the lowest denominator, except in certain circumstances, like when 75 poorly armed Yakuza tries to attack five heroic samurai. (Yes. We did play this out using RQ. Jonas was there I think. Let me tell you; it was "Boring, boring, boring" :-&#92;

The poor idiot who tries to hit the fully armoured guy with a straight punch _will_ get a -5 handicap, no matter what glorious armour he is wearing.

--
Henrix