Re: Re: Leaping over trees

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:48:28 +0200

Mikko:
> > > I know that others don't share my interpretation of magical
>> > abilities, inhuman and superhuman actions, but here goes.
>>
>> I share your interpretion, at least.
>>
>> > Whether or not you can successfully leap over a tree is a matter of
>> > relative ratings, not whether the ability used is magical or not.
>>
>> Absolutely.
>
>I'm afraid I don't agree. This makes the feats much less magical and
>impressive. If using a jumping feat level 17 is exactly the same as
>jumping 17 then there isn't much point in the feat anyway.

There isn't? That you can use it to enhance your jumping powers isn't valuable? Also, the wording of the feat is important since that determines what actions you can use it for.

The ability tag determines what actions you may attempt with it. The ability tag doesn't say how good you are at using the ability; that's what the rating is for.

If you have the ability "master of swords" at 12 means that you aren't very skilled with swords. Likewise with the ability "Kill Harrek" 12; you'd have serious problems killing Harrek with it.

>I think this must be a misinterpretation.

Why?

>So the so called "feats" are infact quite mundane instanses of jumping
>and running,

No, they're still magical in nature. But to do anything impressive with them, you need impressive ratings.

>and regular non-magical abilities also routinely let people
>jump over trees and run faster than horses?

If you have "Run fast" at 15www you damn well should be able to run faster than a horse.

>This is a vision of Glorantha I don't much care for.

Well, it isn't my vision of Glorantha either, and it's a pity that you came to the conclusion that that was my vision.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]