Re: Descriptions of combat

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:52:32 +0200

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, t.s.baguley_at_... wrote:
> It needn't be so.

---Snip!---
>It takes amazing skill levels to keep on balance in a fencing bout.

I do not think that anyone is disputing that you can stumble in combat. The problem is when we let this sort of explanation be the _only one_ for describing an attacker's loss of AP.
If we let this be the norm, warriors will become much more clumsy when fighting opponents with more masteries. In my Glorantha, Argrath does not win because his opponents are stumbling all the time. He wins because he fights better.

If we have a fighter with amazing skill, say 5W3, I think we will agree he won't stumble that often. If nothing else it seems very unheroic. But if he fights Argrath, who I imagine will have at least 12w4, he will, in your Glorantha, start to stumble (or whatever). Not very epic.

Don't lock yourselves in in a fixed set of descriptions of what happens in an exchange, it is boring, boring, boring ;-) Stop thinking of RQ combat. This is Hero Wars. Let your heroes fight heroically, not like stumbling, bumbling idots!

RuneQuest combat certainly had it's good points. But this is HW combat. It has other, very good, points.

Remember, no longer will 1/1000 of a gloranthan army chop their own limbs off in the initial clash ;-)

 --
Henrix