Re: Re: Boring combat

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:01:04 +0200

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Jonas Schiött wrote:
> No, I would say either:
> c) Out of the corner of his eye, Argrath sees the assassin coming and
> moves out of the way just in time for the fool to flatten himself against
> the ground.
> Or I might actually go with b) if the situation seemed to warrant it.
> Like if I was trying to stage a recreation of an old fragment of a
> story...

Oh, I thought that was more or less what we were trying to do all the time. Is not that the whole idea behind this cinematic combat approach?

I think perhaps I would go for d), anyway. d) Argrath notices the wannabe assassin and uses his Blow Lunars To Smithereens feat to good effect.

> But the most likely way for me to resolve this would be to first have a
> contest of the assassin's Ambush skill against Argrath's Spot Ambush (or
> whatever). If Argrath wins, the normal order of action will apply,
> meaning Argrath goes first and kills the assailant on his own turn.

At long last! The return of the Spot Ambush skill, sorely missed by generations of Gloranthan players!
I actually shortened down the description a bit, going in for the essentials. The assassin was not chosen for his combat expertise, but for his ambushing ablilities. What happened was that he sneaked up on Argrath and launched himself in an all-out surprise leap. He recieved a hefty bonus, and Argrath a serious penalty. However, the Lunar rolled a failure, due to losing one or two levels of mastery, and Argrath, being Argrath, rolled a crit.

You say the poor Lunar fell and broke his neck. I say Argrath killed him.

> Oh yeah. But somehow I think this might actually have been more dangerous
> for us under HW rules. It would depend on what sort of contest it was.

Oh, quite possibly, but then perhaps we would have had an average final edge of +6 and a mastery over them, chopping them up just the same. Nor would my hand have been as sore from all the dice rolling.... ;-)

--
Henrix