Re: Re: Attack and Defense

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:51:50 -0700

> While I was favouring the definition: attacker = winner of the
> exchange and is seperate from
>
> the actor in an exchange I pulled the following definition of the
> glossary on the web site:
>
> "Rank: Comparative rating assigned to a piece of equipment, usually a
> weapon or armor. During combat, the difference between the attacker's
> weapon rank and the defender's armor rank is applied as an edge or
> handicap to the attacker's AP bid."
>
> Note how it says "attacker's AP bid". Thue use of the word bid would
> seem to support Jonas's opinion that attacker = actor and defender =
> opponent and that the two are synonms.
>
> IMHO the use of attacker and defender and their meaning seems to lie
> at the crux of this argument. Perhaps Roderick or Robin would like
> to clarify this so we can move on.

IO actually have been reding this, but since I've been summoned....

Attacker = Actor = The guy making the bid Defender = Opponent = The guy not making the bid

The labels "Actor" and "Opponent" switch every exchange.

"Winner" and "Loser" are independent of who made the bid this exchange, they are determined by the die rolls.

So, to calculate edges from equipment, the Attacker/Actor's weapon rank is subtracted from the Defender/Opponent's armor.

Joe the Actor has a Rank 5 greatsword, Jim the Opponent has Rank 3 armor. Joe bids 5 AP.
If Joe wins his bid is calculated as 7 AP (5 AP bid, plus (5-3= ^2) from weapon ranks). Jim will lose 7, 14 or 21 AP, on on a 1x, 2x or 3x result. If Joe loses his bid is calculated as 5 AP (bid only, the ranks are ignored). Joe will lose 5, 10 or 15 AP.

In the next exchange, Jim is the actor/attacker and Joe is the opponent/defender. Now Jim's weapon rank is subtracted from Joe's armor rank to determine the edge/handicap.

Roderick