Re: Mastery Inflation

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:23:31 -0000

> I haven't said anything about Hero Points and character
> development, so i don't really see why you seem to think i have.

1/10 w1, 1/100 w2, 1/1000 w3 :)

And the impression I was getting was those were 1 single skill at high mastery.

> >On the subject of tightening the mastery levels, compressing them
> >down:
>
> What i have been talking about is that starting characters begin in
> the sub-mastery range, and that mastery levels aren't spread around
> like confetti. So i'm not sure what you think the subject is.

I was going with your: 1/10 w1, 1/100 w2, 1/1000 w3 :)

> I'm quite generous with hero points, so this isn't the case.
>
> >Anyways, I'm sure we can argue all day over how big the
> >dynamic range of skills should be. I like it a bit bigger,
> >you seem to like it small.
>
> If you mean that i'd let abilities top out at, say, 10ww or
> something like that, then no, that's definitely not the case.
>
> It seems i didn't communicate my ideas very clearly (or hardly at
> all) since my intention could be _this_ misunderstood. My apologies.
>
> We know that Harrek is in the Xw4 range. These days a standard
> tribe has several near-Harrek guys (or at least Xw3s) running
> around. I don't like the implied assumption that a handful of
> tribal tough guys stands a good chance of taking Harrek out.

Taking out Harrek is easy. A trollkin hiding in the outhouse with a short spear could do Harrek easy. (Note to Harrek: Use outhouse before battle while you still have heropoints, not afterwards...)

Anyone can be Wasted With A CrossBow! But... Harrek, along with his boys is the big troublesome thing...... I suspect those boys tend to be a lot of w2-w3 fellows. So your clan champions are just dogmeat.

That and Harrek likely uses smart as well as skill. (Or am I making a mistake and is Harrek Gloratha's version of Groo?)

Oh Ya... And Harrek likely has a number of toys as well? Including a living bear cloak amoung others booty taken from ravaging large section of Glorantha?

> One of my campaign ideas is that the player heroes start out as the
> clan's tough guys. As they develop they get to interact with
> entities of progressively greater stature and on a larger regional
> scale. If they can have several Xw3 opponents within their own
> tribe, they don't get to deal with the greater schemes until they
> reach divine stature themselves.

I had thought, from previous posts, you wanted a very low level Glorantha. But no.. Not that.

Given what you want... Humm. I think I'd either start your chars a bit more experienced... Or play them for little while as young, eager, and stupid. And should they live, they turn into the real tough guys. But until then, they be tough enough and usable? (Hey, no big families, eager for glory.... Your young patriot.)

The other choice is you start your fellows out inexperienced, and they have the tough jobs... but that's because the compentent ones got wasted at Boldhome say. And you're all the clan has left. And the clan is hoping you all live long enough to have your skills grow to match your job....

That or they are the tough guys since they don't have proper jobs and they put their 5w/1w/1w masteries towards heroism instead of farming like the smart kids. But that's giving them the job of troubleshooter (We shoot them) rather then, oh, warleader.

What I'd say is that you happen to have a number of people with masteries, but they tend to be in more specific realms.

The Heros are the ones who will happen to have several masteries in heroic attributes. And are well rounded heroes. And that are disposable.... Clan chief may be a great hero. but his job is leading. That's why the clan has been training up smucks like us players to live and die for the clan. And if we live... We may become the clan's next leaders. But we're heroes. We're likely going to die heroicly instead.

But ya... Not overshadowing the heroes is a good thing. On the other hand... The Clan Chief's bodyguard, with 10w3 Chop into ministrony, also has 5w2 drink like a fish, and remains next to the chief, and a beer keg. That's his job.... Do you really want: "Sorry, I can't come on the sorty, I got to guard the chief?" They be tied to their responsabilities. Sort of the "I'd be a great artist, but there was this girl... and I have to work in the factory to ensure the kids go through school...."

That job that requires a group to go out into bog misery, searching out things better unsearched... Well, that's what you reward the youngsters with by giving them extra cows. If they return.

Just because your clan has some w2 or w3 people doesn't mean your players are overshadowed. Not many clans are going to sacrifice their head priest of Orlanth on something nasty. Maybe on something that would destroy the clan otherwise...

But really... What that priest is going to do is an arming of Orlanth, and the players are going to say "Cool!" Especially that Vingain that's got the chain main burney, the spear Lightning, the Axe Revenge, the javelins Thunder, and.... and... and oh ya, that +4 defensive edge against everything for all the heroband. Sure we were the sacrifice spoiler group, sent out with an half asses arming, while the Priest does the Real Rallying of the Clan, in order to send 50 warriors out behind us, should we get whacked in trying to take down our foe..... But we went out to make sure she didn't run away first. We also scraped by and came back covered in glory. (Well, luckily none of us died by having mice strangle us by climbing through every orifice and more)

Steven White