Setting Spears

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:35:01 +0100

Mikael Raaterova writes

>Why isn't it just one exchange? It seems obvious to me that the
>spearman's attempt to thwart the cavalry charge is a single exchange.

It is, Under the HW rules, though, it is a separate exchange from the Cavalry charge striking the spear wielder. The Spear Wielder, on his exchange, bids his action points, and gets to add any augmentation/edge/bonus whatever he gets from his mundane skills ("Steadfast"), his magical skills and situational modifiers (like having the spear grounded). A high bid shows an unwavering stand. If he succeeds he will likely inflict a lot of damage, but if he fails he will be wide open to the rider who skilfully charges just past the spear to hit him as he rides past. A low bid shows less confidence - he probably won't stop the rider, but will be ready to flee when he fails...

Assuming he wins the exchange, he will inflict an AP loss on his opponent. This could signify he has successfully struck the rider or the mount with his spear (If he doesn't reduce them to 0 AP though it is probably a glancing blow, as they will still get to charge home. If it does reduce them to 0 then if they decalre a "final Action" they ride down his spear to reach him anyway!) Alternatively, it could signify the horse refused to charge home against the spear. He has inflicted no damage, but has held the rider off, and (at least) prevented him from declaring a "charge" bonus.

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |