Re: Magical and Mundane

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 02:30:31 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Mikael Raaterova wrote:

> Mikko:
> >I'd rather see the feats and the mundane abilities be significantly
> >different from each other. Running 10W3 should be somebody that runs the
> >100m in 9+ seconds, not somebody who outruns a horse.
>
> By the same logic you'd need "Fly" at 10www to get a distance of,
> say, 100 metres or reach a speed of 10 mph. You'd need "Ignite fires"
> at 10www to singe a damp tree. You'd need "Terrifying howl" at 10www
> to scare a troll. Rather un-epic, i'd say.

No. Flying is a feat, not a mundane skill. Flying feat le't you fly, and jumping magic (IMG) let's the Trolls of Pavis jump high indeed. I don't see why the magical and the mundane have to be on the same scale at all.   I'm really _against_ the examples you cited. The mundane skills should stay within the mortally possible, if heroic, boundaries (like the olympic fencers, runners etc), and the feats allow the really fantastic.

> >Othervice
> >Glorantha has seriously changed, and no longer resembles our earth at
> >all, even in the mundane world.
>
> If you need to be near-divine to do even slightly difficult stuff
> then Glorantha has indeed seriously changed.

That't not what I said at all. Please read again.

> If you heroquest enough to get your "Running" ability up to 10www
> (almost divine levels) you damn well should be able to outrun a
> speeding arrow.

I don't think so.

        -Adept