Re: Two newbie questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 02:13:03 +0100

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:58:54 -0400, Douglas Bailey <trystero_at_...t> wrote:

>(1) The rules book lists ranks for various weapons and armour types. How do
>these interact with offensive magic? In particular, I had a player (an
>Orlanthi priest) hurling hail down on his enemies: should their armor help
>protect them in this contest? I ruled no, but...

Any physical impact should be affected by armour, unless it's general enough to get . So I would definitely have allowed it against hail. It is, like most things in HW, up to the narrator to decide what counts as physical, and what is affected by armour.

>(2) How many AP do inanimate objects bid? If a character is climbing a
>cliff face in an extended contest, he gets the first bid. No problem. But
>when it's the *cliff*'s turn to act, I'm not really sure how many AP it
>should bid. I went with the default bid (3 AP), increasing by one each
>exchange to simulate the climber being higher and higher and thus risking
>more hurt in a fall. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?

This one was discussed in detail lately. Check the eGroups website for the messages. Basically, 3AP is a bit low- as soon as you're high enough to get hurt falling, the bid should be at least 7AP, since that's the amount needed to cause a Wound. Whether is actually SHOULD cause a Wound, and exactly what AP bid is right, is, as usual, up to the Narrator.

Wulf