Re: Digest Number 159

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:17:04 +0100

> From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Descriptions of combat
>I do not think that anyone is disputing that you can stumble in combat. The
>problem is when we let this sort of explanation be the _only one_ for
>describing

I though my post was pretty clear that it isn't the only way, but good fighters do force mistakes from their opponents (slips, stumbles, distance, inefficient parries and so on).

>If we have a fighter with amazing skill, say 5W3, I think we will agree he
>won't stumble that often. If nothing else it seems very unheroic. But if he
>fights Argrath, who I imagine will have at least 12w4, he will, in your
>Glorantha, start to stumble (or whatever). Not very epic.

As it is Wimbledon week ... I think the distinction between a forced and unforced error is very epic and heroic. I've seen great players fall, slip, stumble against great opponents (for some reason Becker springs to mind).

Thom