Re: New players

From: Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:07:08 -0000

I wouldn't necesarily recomend this long a period for character generation but my group are all very experienced role players and I am making them justify any new abilities that they want to add this far into game. Overall I would say it has worked well and has let me get the game running quickly and concentrate on the cultural aspects rather than game mechanics.

For me as a narrator the advantages of using this method is that I didn't have to explain the vague nature of skills. This is one of the biggest hurdles in terms of working with experienced players, they instantly expect to have skill/magic lists to choose from. My players now have a good grasp of how things work and the subtleties of ability wordings and mental/physical placement, much better than if I had sat down and tried to explain it to them first.

In future I will probably continue to use this method, although with a much shorter ability selection period. The benefits to this are that even if new players are joining in we can start gaming on time rather than most of the players sitting around for an hour drinking coffee whilst the newbie rolls up a character.

Jarec