Re: Mastery Inflation

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 07:12:24 -0700

Thom wrote

> Literacy in the RW is a good example of
> a skill that is effectively at mastery - you only fail if you have adverse
> circumstances.

Literacy in the RW is a good example of why competent characters don't need a mastery.

First off, most people sometimes miscomprehend what they read -- they do fail. Secondly, most of the time we are all self-respecting readers, and don't need to make a roll. Thirdly, most of the time we are reading neatly printed material in a relatively reasonable script (rather than sloppily hand-written Chinese characters) -- it's as if the writing were augmented.

I would say a mastery in reading represents speed-reading ability, or perfect recall or comprehension of what was read.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein