Re: Setting Spears

From: David Stephen Bell <davebell_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:02:46 -0000

IIRC most RPGs (other than a few which have simultaneous attacks e.g. Pendragon) have a structure in which the defendant's actions are at best simply a response to the attacking action (RQ, Harn); as often as not you get the opportunity to stand there and take it (Earthdawn, MERP, AD&D). At least HW allows you to describe a response to the attacker's move though they determine the level of threat.

In this case of setting a spear against a charging horseman, it doesn't seem off IMHO that the horseman determines whether they charge in recklessly or pull up and procrastinate. Either way the spearman is not leaping into action, just directing the head of a grounded spear (if they've got any sense). The AP bid should lie with the horseman.

> Unfortunately the rules as they now stand don't model this. All the
> initiative and the decisions on which course the story will take
are up to
> the actor. Yes, the opponent can describe his "defense" in as much
detail as
> the actor describes his "attack", but this has no weight (other than
> modifiers/edges the GM may whish to give) on the outcome.

Aren't the modifiers/edges the crux of the matter. They should be a direct reflection of the action taken by the defender and should have enormous weight where the response to the attack is concerned.

>If the opponent's intentions don't affect
> the way the action resolves itself, then quickly IMO players won't
bother to
> describe their defense, as these descriptions don't matter.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that the descriptions don't matter. At the MOST basic level the players must declare a parry (or whatever), or the exchange would be in effect an Ability test (this is no different from RQ). The players also have a chance however to describe a host of other action though yes, they will still be a response to the attacker's action.

All IMHO of course.

Dave Bell

("He picked up the wrong end of the stick and beat around the bush with it")