Re: Digest Number 161

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 00:29:06 +0200

James Turner
> >By the same logic you'd need "Fly" at 10www to get a distance of,
>>say, 100 metres or reach a speed of 10 mph. You'd need "Ignite fires"
>>at 10www to singe a damp tree. You'd need "Terrifying howl" at 10www
>>to scare a troll. Rather un-epic, i'd say.
>
>Flying up onto a wall is resisted with a 14.
>Terrifying Howl is resisted by a 14 or the targets most apprpiate
>ability if higher.
>
>With a natural resistance of 14 there is no need for 10www ratings.

The condition of my remark was 'by the same logic'.

>By allowing people to actually do a named feat it increases the epic
>feel.

By playing merry hell with the consistency and meaning of ability ratings.

> >If you heroquest enough to get your "Running" ability up to 10www
>>(almost divine levels) you damn well should be able to outrun a
>>speeding arrow.
>
>Maybe in your game you need to heroquest to get 10www (nothing wrong
>with that).

Heroquesting is the fastest way of improving abilities. I did not mean that you have to heroquest to reach such ratings; it's merely the most campaign-effective.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]